Thursday 22 August 2013

Ladies Out In Time For Autumn

As we head towards September and an exciting time of the year for wildlife as new species migrate through the country I got to find 2 of my first ladies of the year(no offence to any females I have met up to now;))

Yesterday in the moth trap was this Old Lady Moth.
A few hours later during a trip into town I noticed this Painted Lady butterfly on Buddleia at Scunthorpe bus station.My first of the year.Apologies for the photo quality but it was taken with the phone as I didn't expect to need my camera walking from the carpark to the Post Office.
Late afternoon/teatime was spent as RSPB Blacktoft Sands in hope of seeing a Montague Harier that has been frequenting the reserve over the last week or so.
Unfortunately no sign of the Monty but other birds of prey were spotted, 3 marsh harriers, a sparrowhawk & a hobby all spooking the waders on the lagoon at the Singleton hide.

Waders at the reserve included 19 little egrets, 1 water rail, 2 garganey, green sandpiper, 4 greenshanks, 20+ snipe, 20+ black-tailed godwits,2 grey herons,a few spotted redshank and 1 dunlin.

Some of the little egrets and black-tailed godwits on the lagoon.
The waders keeping a watchful eye at the sky as a marsh harrier flys past.
The waders are spooked by a passing hobby which was too quick for my camera.
More little egrets.
2 Red Underwing moths found on the door frame on the toilet block.
Thanks again for browsing through my posts.If you have any comments about the blog or what I can do to improve it please post as it will be very much appreciated.:)




No comments:

Post a Comment